The Marquess of Winchester's Regiment
The Regiment Today
Taking Part & Joining
The Civil War in
THE Civil War in Hampshire (1642-45) AND THE STORY OF BASING HOUSE BY REV. G. N. GODWIN, B.D.
Chapter VII - Arundal and Chichesters taken - Farnham castle "slighted"
(use "control F" to search text)
Whilst Colonel Goring was fighting at Portsmouth, some of his friends had been trying to aid him by making various plundering forays in the neighbouring county of Wiltshire. After the surrender of Portsmouth, the Earl of Pembroke proceeded to deal summarily with these disturbers of the public peace. We have already noted his departure for the Isle of Wight. Having reduced that portion of his government to tranquillity he returned towards Wiltshire at the close of September. Cavalier marauding in those districts was at its height on October i, 1642, but was speedily destined to receive a severe check. The Earl of Pembroke brought with him from Hampshire 300 horse and foot, and was joined on his march by some of the Trained Bands. On October 4, at some place unspecified by the annalist, he found himself confronted by Lord Coventry and 1000 cavaliers. The contest was short, but decisive, forty Cavaliers being slain and ten captured, Lord Coventry himself escaping in disguise. Ten men were lost by the Parliament, and the Earl, having " settled that county in a very good posture and peaceable condition," returned home to Wilton House on October 13, with much honour. A week later the three counties of Berks, Hants, and Surrey were raising troops of Dragoons, some of which had already reached Windsor Castle, whilst others were on their march thither, intending to fortify it on behalf of the Parliament. Throughout the war the excesses committed by those who, rightly or wrongly, styled themselves Royalist partisans did much to strengthen the cause of the Parliament in these counties.
Hampshire men of those days were by no means devoid of either military spirit or experience. Only three years before the county had sent forth, at the King's command, against the Scottish foe 1000 foot and 100 horse, and no fewer than 1200 Hampshire soldiers marched beneath the banner of the Earl of Northumberland, stout old Sir Jacob Astley, of Melton Constable, Norfolk, commanding another hundred meanwhile. Sir Jacob was of opinion that " if a fat Puritan could be laid hold of, it were best to punish him." These military companies seem to have been considerably wanting in discipline, for on October 11, 1642, a letter written to Lord Grey by Lord Stourton was read in the House of Lords, complaining of " the great unruliness of the soldiers in Hampshire," especially finding fault with the infantry, who were then on the march between London and Portsmouth. Professor Gardiner's " Great Civil War " (vol. i.) shows that such outrages were not uncommon. The unfortunate nobleman complained that he had been plundered of his property, and that the robbers had threatened him with repeated visits. He therefore asked for protection to his house, stating that in Wiltshire also the soldiers had paid him four most unwelcome visits. On two occasions he bribed them to depart. Once they came to the number of 300, hacking and hewing at his gates, and vowing that they would, if refused admittance, cut the throats of men, women, and children indis- criminately. The county Trained Bands were usually about 600 in number, but on October 19, 1642, those of London obtained permission to double their effective strength. The Committee for the Defence of the Kingdom were ordered by the Upper House to afford hapless Lord Stourton all necessary protection. Soldiers who had been wounded or maimed in the service of the Parliament used to attend daily at the Savoy Hospital to receive the aid of a physician and certain surgeons. These sufferers were allowed 8d. per diem till cured. The Savoy became a regular military hospital about November 1644 (Firth's "Cromwell's Army," p. 262).
Early in November 1642 Sir William Lewis, the Governor of Portsmouth, issued seven guns and ten barrels of powder to the inhabitants of Chichester, who wished to strengthen their weak defences. The yearly pay of the Portsmouth garrison was £5030, towards which sum £1000 collected in Chichester in aid of Goring and afterwards confiscated by the Parliament, was a welcome aid.
The local magazines containing the powder and arms of the Trained Bands were eagerly coveted by both parties (" Cromwell's Army," p. 15), and on August 19, 1642, Mr. John Alford, Sir William Goring, Sir Thomas Bowyer, Sir William Morley, and others demanded the use of the Chichester magazine for the service of the King. They were refused by Captain Chittey, who placed a strong guard over it, and were promptly summoned " to attend the service of the House, and to explain themselves : Captain Chittey to retain charge of the magazine."
We must now march with victorious Sir William Waller for awhile over the pleasant Sussex Downs, taking with us as most trusty and withal right pleasant guides the late W. H. Blaauw, Esq., M.A., F.S.A., and G. Hillier, Esq., who have most successfully investigated the whole subject. Nor shall the late Rev. H. D. Gordon, of South Harting, be left out, who has also laboured in the same field. Through the exceeding kindness of J. Dudmey, Esq., Secretary of the Sussex Archaeological Society, and Mr. St. Leger Blaauw, who have given generous help, we need not dread losing our way in any historic by-road. Sussex had shown its loyalty in 1640, when the clergy of the diocese contributed £985 16s., and the county sent 640 foot and 80 horse to swell the ranks of the army which marched against the invading Scots. But on February 17, 1643, there was an ominous-sounding petition sent up to the House of Commons praying for "a thorough reformation of religion " in the county. Arundel and Chichester took opposite sides. The former, together with Portsmouth and Winchester, was in safe Cavalier keeping, but Chichester was devoted to the Parliament, being considerably under the influence of a great brewer, William Cawley by name, a man of short stature, who founded an almshouse or hospital for ten poor persons, and whose memory is still preserved by " Cawley's Lane," at Rumboldswyke, where he possessed certain lands. The son of an Alderman of Chichester, he sat in Parliament, first for Midhurst, and afterwards for his native city, steadily opposing the King whenever opportunity offered, and resisting all Royalist overtures. He signed the King's death warrant, but represented Chichester in the Convention Parliament of 1660. Being exempted from pardon at the Restoration, he died in exile at Vevey in Switzerland, and his estates were granted to the Duke of York. His remains were brought home to Chichester, wrapped in lead, and were temporarily disinterred a few years ago. Lewes was represented in Parliament by Colonel Herbert Morley, who was a firm Puritan partisan, and possessed immense influence in the county. On November 7, 1642, the King published a general amnesty for Sussex, from which Colonel Morley and Henry Chittey were specially excepted.
On August 28, 1642, it will be remembered that a parley took place between the besiegers of Portsmouth and the beleaguered garrison, in which Mr. Christopher Lewknor took part. He was the Recorder of Chichester, and is styled " the man appointed by his Majesty to take in money and plate on his behalfe." After the surrender of Portsmouth, Goring was allowed six days, Lewknor and the other officers two, to leave Portsmouth. On August 24, 1642, Chichester was reported to be "in a good state of defence, and resolved to maintain the Protestant religion, but some ill-affected persons had plotted to betray the town, and some ministers had made seditious sermons, saying that the irreverent clergie had preached down the bishops, and the reverend tradesmen had preached down the clergie." When the King's scouts, ten in number, appeared in Hyde Park on November 16, and his army was at Brent- ford, there was a general expectation on both sides that it would have turned towards Chichester, and the party in possession prepared for defence. An ordinance had been passed for associating the forces in the four counties of Hampshire, Surrey, Sussex, and Kent, under Sir W. Waller as Major-General, and the Parliamentary journalist states that a popular dread of the cruelty of the King's army prevailed in Chichester. " Such was the fear of the townsmen ; yea, and of the cathedral men too (having heard of their plundering at Brainford) (Brentford), that they put them- selves in armes, and out of their subscribed monies maintained a considerable strength." Captain Ambrose Trayton was, on November 18, authorised to call in 200 men, volunteers or otherwise, or more if necessary, for the defence of Lewes, and
to command them. One-fifth of the proposition money, plate, &c., collected in Lewes was to be applied to the protection of the town, and the security of the public faith was offered to all Sussex men willing to lend money or plate to the Parliament. By an ordinance hastily passed on November 21, Mr. Morley and others were sent down to put Sussex " into the like posture of defence as is Kent, and to disarm all such as shall refuse to join with them in securing the county." In West Sussex the Royalists mustered strongly, whilst Colonel Morley was supreme in the Eastern Division. Several of Colonel Morley's relatives. Sir Edward Ford, of Up Park, and many other gentlemen, were on the side of the King. It was remarked of Sussex, as of other counties in the south and east of England, that though many of the chief gentry were for the King, yet the freeholders and yeomen being generally on the other side, as often as they attempted to show themselves they were crushed and their efforts defeated. Sir Edward Ford had been just made High Sheriff of Sussex, "not three days old in his place," according to Vicars, and had offered the King 1000 men, and to undertake the conquest of Sussex, though sixty miles in length.
The Mayor of Chichester (Robert Eaton) had been too loyal to please the pre- vailing party in the city of Chichester, of which the Bishop and Christopher Lewknor (the Recorder), with many of the clergy, were Royalists, and after publishing the Royal Commission of Array, which the Parliament had declared illegal, had fled to join the King, though he afterw^ards, in September, made his peace by paying a fine of £150. His successor, William Bartholomew, had ,been active on November 2 in procuring seven pieces of ordnance from Portsmouth, with license to introduce 200 men from the County Militia for the defence of the city against the Cavaliers, but nevertheless by a concerted movement the Royalists assembled in such numbers on November 22 as to seize the cannon and the magazine, take the city keys away from the Mayor, and imprison some of the Trained Bands of the enemy. The news of this surprisal was sent up to Colonel Morley in Parliament next day. The two M.P.s for Chichester (Sir W. Morley and Christopher Lewknor) were expelled the House. *' An impeachment was ordered November 23rd against Sir William Morley, while Sir John Morley and Sir E. Ford were voted delinquents and ordered into custody."
The report to Parliament was, of course, from a hostile pen. Parliament was then also informed that " the county of Sussex is in a great combustion, and that there is some thousands of the Papists and malignants in the county gathered together in Chichester, it being also reported that a great number of the Cavaliers are coming in thither to assist the Array men in opposing the ordinances of Parliament.'^ Instructions were at once given to seize High Sheriff Ford, to exact money from Papists, and to take other precautions. Mr. Henry Chittey was ordered to continue as Captain of Trained Bands at Chichester, and the Mayor was forbidden to publish a royal proclamation of grace, favour, and pardon to the inhabitants of Sussex, and those who refused to aid the Parliamentarian subscription were declared delinquents.
After the surrender of Winchester in December 1642, Sir William Waller, in spite of rumours that Prince Rupert had led 20 troops of horse towards Chichester, marched against Arundel Castle. A few days previously the forces of the Parliament had gained a considerable success. On December 8 news reached London that the High Sheriff, Sir Edward Ford, when marching from Chichester to Lewes in company with the Earl of Thanet, had ordered all men capable of bearing arms to join him on pain of death, and of having their houses burnt to the ground. Some recruits were obtained by this summary order, but they were by no means zealous for the Royal cause. At Hayward's Heath, some two miles from Cuckfield, the Cavaliers were faced by a somewhat less numerous force. Neither party had any artillery. The fight began by a fierce attack by the Parliamentarians, and lasted at least one hour. " The fight was performed with their muskets at first, and after some volleys our horse broke into their van, our footmen just at that instant charging courageously into their quarters." The Parliamentarian reserves now came up, and completed the rout, the Cavaliers losing, it is said, not less than 200 men. The countrymen who had been forced into Sheriff Ford's ranks threw down their arms and ran away as fast as their legs could carry them to Hurst, Ditchling, and the neighbouring villages. Sir Edward Ford and the Earl of Thanet's horse " flying with all speed up to the not distant downs, and so to Wissum (Wiston ?) to the Earl's house," and from thence to Chichester. The victors marched to secure Lewes. Sir William Waller's troops which had taken part in the capture of Winchester marched from thence to Havant, many deserting on the road, their pay being in arrears, and returning to London, Intending there to re-enlist in other regiments, as the " Letter " from Havant tells us. At Havant Sir William Waller and Colonel Ramsay joined them at the head of 2000 men. The prisoners taken at Winchester having been safely disposed of at Ports- mouth, and at Lambeth House, London, the whole force was ready to march towards Chichester and Arundel on the morning of Monday, December 17, when a sudden order was received from the Earl of Essex, recalling Colonels Urrey, Goodwin, and Browne, with four regiments. These troops, however, seem to have remained a few days longer under Sir W. Waller's command. The march into Sussex from Win- chester, through Upham, where the church was used as a cavalry stable, was by no means unopposed. There are somewhat vague accounts of a fight " with a great party of the King's army in a great field for seven hours very courageously." At length Sergeant-Major Skippon came up with eleven troops of horse, and the Cavaliers fled, many of them being captured, and some 200 slain. The loss of the victorious army is said to have been about forty. Sir William Waller and Colonel Browne, his energetic second in command, then marched with the main body of their troops to Chichester, sending at the same time a detachment of 100 men to make themselves masters of Arundel Castle, which had " a garrison, though not numerous or well provided, as being without apprehension of an enemy," and which had been during the previous year abandoned in despair by its owner, Thomas Earl of Arundel, the friend and patron of the artist Hollar. Whilst the remainder kept the Royalist townsmen in check, thirty-six daring spirits assaulted the castle, which, if well garrisoned, would have been impregnable. Their arrival was unexpected, but the gates of the castle were, nevertheless, closed. Thereupon " they set a petard to the gate, and blew it open, and so most resolutely entered the castle, surprising all there, amongst whom they took one Sir Richard Rochford and his son, a great Papist, and one Captain Goulding, raising men and armes in Sussex to assist the malignants in Chichester, which said prisoners," being sent up to London, were speedily placed in durance vile. The capture of 100 horse, together with arms and stores, rewarded the victors, who claimed to have captured this important stronghold with the loss of one man. Weapons having been sent from London, the Trained Bands of Sussex, who had been disarmed by Sir Edward Ford, the Royalist High Sheriff, informed the Parliament that they were resolved " to regain and fetch their arms from Chichester, or else to lose their lives in the attempt thereof ! " They were as good as their word.
After the fall of Arundel Castle, the fate of Chichester was sealed. The newswriter of the day says of the Royalists : " These silly persons, being deluded with expectation of the Cavaliers to assist them, would gladly submit, if it might be accepted, with satisfaction out of their estates." Mr. Blaauw says : " Although Clarendon speaks of the city as being encompassed with a very good old wall easy to be fortified (B. vi.), yet soon after Waller and Sir W. Lewis had blockaded it, they informed the Parliament that they find it of no great strength to hold out long." Clarendon thinks it would not have yielded " if the common people of the country, out of which soldiers were to rise, had been so well affected as was believed " ; but he confesses that the cause was unpopular, and that in fact " their number of common men was so small that the constant duty was performed by the officers and gentlemen of quality, who were absolutely tired out." Colonel Browne was during the siege withdrawn to resist a pressing danger at Windsor, leaving Waller only looo horse, 300 dragoons, and six guns ; but Sir Arthur Haslerigg was present, and was both now, and again in 1647 when invited by W. Cawley, " the especial scourge of the city."
Vicars has, fortunately for posterity, preserved in his " Parliamentary Chronicle " (pp. 234-240) Sir W. Waller's own account of the siege as given in a letter written to the Earl of Essex, From this letter it appears that Sir William was joined, on the evening before his arrival at Chichester, by three troops of horse and two companies of " Dragoneers " under the command of Colonel Morley and Sir Michael Livesay, making his troops amount to some 6000. On his arrival before the town on December 21, 1642, the garrison made a sortie, but were repulsed, one of their number being slain, and another taken prisoner. The besiegers suffered no loss, and secured their position " upon a Downe called the Broils, the onely commanding ground about the towne." The guns of the town were not silent, and the rest of the day was spent in the construction of siege batteries. With the approval of Sir Arthur Haslerig and other officers, Sir William Waller summoned the garrison to surrender. A parley took place. Says Sir William : " The persons I sent were Major Horatio Carey and Captain Catre: the hostages from them were Colonel Lindsay and Lieutenant-Colonel Potter." Sir William Waller demanded an absolute surrender of the city, with the giving up of Sir Edward Ford, of all Papists, and of all persons considered by Parliament as delinquents. The soldiers were to depart without arms ; but officers were to retain their swords and horses, giving a pledge never again to take up arms against the Parliament.
After long debate, the garrison declined to accede to these terms, but offered to give up any Roman Catholics within the walls. "Whereupon the next day our battery played, but our cannoneers overshot the towne extremely." Cannonading continued, and towards evening the besiegers received a letter from the Earl of Essex announcing the approach of Prince Rupert. Scouts were immediately sent out, and on the following day Waller brought his guns nearer the town. The suburbs of the West Gate were occupied after a fierce struggle, but the burning with wild-fire of certain houses by the garrison obliged the besiegers to beat a retreat. The garrison also fired some houses at the East Gate, " but we got possession of the Almes Houses, within halfe musket shot of the North Port, and then planted our ordnance very advantagiously, which played through the gate up into the Market Place of the City." Two companies of foot and two troops of horse which Lieut.-Colonel Roberts had brought from Arundel took post after vigorous opposition at the South Gate. The suburbs of the East Gate were also occupied by the besiegers, who kept up a brisk fire upon any of the defenders who showed themselves upon the walls. A whole culverin (about 19 lbs.) was now placed in position within pistol shot of the East Gate. The West Gate was also to be set on fire, and Sir William intended " to petard a back gate that issued out of the Deanery through the town wall into the fields, and was walled up by a single brick thick." But whilst arrangements were being made for the attack a trumpet was sent out of the city at ten o'clock at night asking for a parley at nine o'clock the next morning. This request was granted, and at the appointed hour Sir William Balnidine and Captain Wolfe were sent from the garrison to treat for a surrender. A cessation of arms was agreed upon during the progress of the negotiations, but Sir William Waller declined to grant any more favourable terms than ** Quarter, and with it honourable usage." This being refused, *' not without hot indignation," the besieged prepared to sell their lives dearly, and Sir William " to proceed roundl}^ and speedily with them." But at the last moment before the assault, a trumpet was sent out of the city desiring a respite until seven o'clock on the following morning, at which hour a surrender was agreed upon. In spite of the futile opposition of some of Lord Crawford's Scotch troopers, the city was delivered in the afternoon to Sir William Waller, " the gates being set open for us and then set fast againe. Then the first thing we did was to release and fully set at iibertie all the honest men of the towne whom they had imprisoned, who being thus enlarged, we imployed in places of trust in the city." In the evening a train of powder was discovered near Sir William Waller's quarters where the commanders were at supper, but the gunner, on being apprehended, and all the Royalist leaders disclaimed all knowledge of the matter. Nehemiah Wallington says that there were seven barrels of gunpowder in the cellar with a burning match sticking in one of them, and that it was made known by one of their own gunners. During the eight days that the siege lasted no rain fell, which greatly facilitated the operations of the besiegers, but within half-an-hour after the victors had entered the gates there were "continual incessant showers." Vicars also records with exultation that the surrender took place at the very time of the observance of a solemn fast. Sir William Waller at once sent up to London Sir Edward Ford, who was soon afterwards released, through the influence of his sister Sarah, who had married the Parliamen- tarian General Ireton. Sir John Morley, Colonel Shelley, Christopher Lewknor, Colonel Lindsay, Lieutenant-Colonel Porter, Sergeant-Major (i.e, Major) Dawson^ and Major Gordon were amongst the prisoners, with some sixty other officers and commanders, who were for the most part Scotchmen, " with all their brave horses, which were dainty ones indeed." About 400 " excellent dragoneers " and three or four hun'dred infantry laid down their arms. Most of the humbler captives were sent up by sea and speedily imprisoned in London.
Other prisoners not previously mentioned were Sir William Balnidine, Mr. Collins, a minister, Walter Monk, William and Richard Mayo, John Windsor, and Mr. Anderson. The citizens, to escape plunder, offered a month's pay to Waller's army, "which was accepted of." The money and plate taken at Chichester were sent up to London by sea. On November 29 the Earl of Thanet was ordered to be called to account for sending forces to Chichester against the Parliament ; and on the same day the security of the public faith was guaranteed to those who should aid the Parliament by their contributions. Sir Richard Rochford and his son were sent to London on December 20, and committed to Winchester House, in St. Mary Overies, Southwark, with twelve other prisoners from Chichester. The Wood Street Compter and the Poultry received Majors Lindsay ancl Gordon, Captains Wolfe, Cooper, Enniss, Atkinson, Stephenson, and Molum, as well as Sir William Balnidine, Mr. William Mayo, Lieutenants Withrington, Pridgeon and Bird, Ensigns Gpffe, and Richard and Thomas Shelley. Sir W. Balnidine and Mr. Lewknor, who lost his Recordership, were kept in close custody, being allowed to receive provisions and necessaries, but being forbidden to converse privately with any one. Colonel Cockeram was likewise detained in Wood Street Compter. Colonel, Major, and Captain Lindsay, together with sixty other officers, chiefly Scotchmen, who were taken at Chichester, belonged to the regiment of Ludovic Lindsay, 15th Earl of Crawford, who was in chief command of the Cavalier horse in Hampshire. Sir Edward Ford was, in company with the Sheriffs of Devon and Kent, examined before the House of Commons in close custody on January 9, 1643, and on the following day it was decided that " the sixty prisoners may go to Windsor in coaches if they will pay the cost." They were removed thither on January 11. On September 7, 1642, Sir John Caryll, of Harting, obtained a pass for France, or beyond the seas, for himself, his lady, two men and two maids, " provided he carry no prohibited goods with him with his convenient necessaries." Bishop King also (" a proud prelate, as all the rest are, and a most pragmaticall malignant against the Parliament, as all his cater-capt companions are ") did not escape. He suffered severely, but regained his bishopric at the Restoration, and died on October i, 1699. Seventeen captains, thirteen lieutenants, and eight ensigns were found in the garrison. Mr. Blaauw says : " The Parliament accompanied their thanks with a special charge to the com- manders at Chichester * to be careful of the prisoners.' Ensign Richard and Thomas Shelley were in March removed from Lord Petre's to Plymouth for security. The prisons often at this period overflowed, and Colonel Morley was one of a committee 'to dispose of the prisoners, either by sending them to the Indies or otherwise,' Some were kept in vessels at Gravesend, and Colonel Goring was kept in custody at the ' Red Lion ' Inn, Holborn, even though Parliament considered it not safe, and wished him to be removed to the Tower, but it was courteously resolved that ' Lady Goring shall have liberty to see her son, Colonel Goring, a prisoner to the Parliament, in presence and hearing of his keeper.' He was released March 12, 1644, by ex- change with Lord Lothian."
Dr. Bruno Ryves, the Dean of Chichester, lost his Deanery, and was fined £120. He wrote an account of the damage done to the Cathedral for " Mercurius Rusticus," lived for many years on charity, was made Dean of Windsor at the Restoration, and died in 1677.
At the invitation of Mr. William Cawley, who wished that " only the ungodly should be troubled," a party was sent in the year 1647, under the command of Sir Arthur Haslerig, to finish the work of destruction, which it was alleged had been left incomplete, and they did finish it. Haslerig was famed for his extempore prayers and sermons, but opposed the idea of Cromwell's becoming King. Dean Ryves says that on the day after the surrender of the city to Sir William Waller, the Marshal and some other officers entered the vestry, and took possession of the vestments a nd church plate, leaving " not so much as a cushion for the pulpit, nor a chalice for the Blessed Sacrament. ... As they broke down the organs and dashed the pipes with their pole-axes they scoffingly said, * Hark, how the organs goe 1 ' " They broke the rail and the Communion Table to pieces, together with the Ten Commandments, and the pictures of Moses and Aaron. Prayer-books and music-books, torn to pieces, were everywhere to be seen, whilst gowns and surplices were appropriated, with a view to their speedy conversion into shirts. The portraits of bishops and kings were destroyed, and "one of those miscreants picked out the eyes of King Edward the Sixth's picture, saying * That all this mischief came from him when he established the Book of Common Prayer "
On the following Tuesday there was a solemn thanksgiving in the Cathedral for Sir William Waller's victory, and after the sermon " they ran up and down the church with their swords drawn, defacing the monuments of the dead, hacking and hewing the seats and stalls, scratching and scraping the painted walls." Sir William Waller stood by with his sword drawn, as if in fear of his own men, whereat Dean R3rves makes merry. The organ and the painted window facing the Bishop's palace were broken, the ornaments, tombs and brasses in the choir were defaced, and the altars in the Cathedral and Sub-Deanery Church were both destroyed. Other churches in Chichester were also defaced, whilst the houses of the bishop, dean and clergy were impartially sacked. In the Sub-Deanery Church the Bible was " marked in divers places with a black cole," Prayer Books were torn up, surplices taken, and broken chalices were carried away. Five or six days afterwards Sir Arthur Haslerig, who had been informed by a treacherous officer of the church of the hiding-place of the remaining church plate, entered the Chapter House at the head of a party duly provided with crowbars, and ordered them to break down the wainscot. Sir Arthur's tongue was not enough to express his joy, it was operative at his very heels (pray mark what music that is to which it is lawful for a,Puritan to dance), he cried out, ' Here boys, there boys, hark, it rattles, it rattles, it rattles ! ' and being much importuned by some members of that church to leave the church but a cup for the administra- tion of the Blessed Sacrament, answer was returned by a Scotchman standing by * that they should take a wooden dish.' "
Mr. Blaauw says : " Before quitting Chichester it is fitting that antiquaries should especially lament some of the accompaniments of this capture, such as the loss of the ancient city records, and the destruction of the north-west tower of the Cathedral. After a few years' trial as a garrison town, part of the time under the famous Algernon Sydney, as Governor, who was appointed on May lo, 1645, the Parliament fortunately resolved to disgarrison Chichester, March 2, 1646, and its ordnance was transferred to Arundel." The bastion of the North Wall of Chichester, between the two West Lanes, was built at this time with the stones of the two destroyed churches of St. Pancras and St. Bartholomew, which stood without the walls. After the surrender. Sir William Waller requested permission to visit London, he himself being in bad health and his troops being worn out with fatigue. On Wednesday, January 4, 1643, it was ordered " bells and expressions of joy this night to be done as is usual," and on Sunday, January 8, a solemn thanksgiving for the taking of Chichester was appointed in all churches within the City of London. On January 16 Colonel Herbert Morley received the thanks of the Speaker in his place in Parliament " for the great service he did in the taking of Chichester."
On December 10, 1642, the Earl of Pembroke was appointed by the Parliament " Lieutenant of Wells and Hants as the Lord Paulet, Lord Hopton and others, their accomplices have gotten together great forces in the western parts of this kingdom." We already know that Lord Paulet was with Sir Ralph Hopton and the Marquis of Hertford when the war began, and after the loss of Portsmouth went with them into Glamorganshire. In Ireland, Sir John Paulet gained a great victory over the Irish rebels near Bandon Bridge, in County Cork, on November 23, 1642. On December 29, a series of explosions told of the partial " slighting " of the defences of Farnham Castle. We say partial because in July 1648 the Committee at Derby House was ordered "to take such effectual course with Farnham Castle as to put it in that condition of indefensibleness as it may be no occasion for disturbing the peace of the country." This was done by means of a county rate, the materials being sold to Mr. George Goodwin, and at the Restoration Bishop Morley spent £7000 in repairing the damage done at this period. On Christmas Eve Captain John Lobb was appointed Deputy Governor of Portsmouth. His family resided at Southampton, and one of them afterwards owned The Vine near Basingstoke. On July 26, 1645, it was ordered " Mr. Morris Jephson to be Lieut. -Colonel and Mr. John Lobb to be Major of Colonel Norton's regiment of foot now at Portsmouth." Sir William Lewis was now authorised to release, at his discretion, any of the private soldiers belonging to Goring's garrison who might be still imprisoned at Portsmouth, on their promising not to serve against the Parliament. Thus ended the year 1642.